#1 ModanoTheBest

ModanoTheBest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Realignment? Rules changes? Getting that damned trapezoid out, or as Razor says, flipping it around? I've seen zero commentary on anything that actually pertains to the game on the ice.
Posted Image

#2 biggestfanever

biggestfanever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationGibbons, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Here's my Christmas list. In no particular order.

1.Detraction. Get rid of both Florida teams and Columbus. Or at least two of the three.
2.Relocation. Move the Coyotes to Quebec City.
3.Realignment.

WALES CONFERENCE

Adams
Boston
Buffalo
Carolina
Columbus
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec

Patrick
Nashville
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

CAMPBELLS CONFERENCE

Smythe
Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Norris
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
Toronto
St.Louis

4.Playoff format.
Top four from each division make playoffs
1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in each
Division finals, conference finals, Cup final.

5.Make the game more affordable for fans.
6.Get rid of that stupid clearing the puck over the glass penalty. Or at least alter it.
7.Get rid of the instigator rule.
8.Fans show up for Stars games.
9.Stars get nice new uniforms (no color change ie red,blue,purple,pink,brown,orange,etc).
10.Stars win Cup/s

#3 ChangingFate

ChangingFate

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,081 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Realignment? Rules changes? Getting that damned trapezoid out, or as Razor says, flipping it around? I've seen zero commentary on anything that actually pertains to the game on the ice.

Because.....

And here's the kicker....

THERE IS NO GAME ON THE ICE......

DUN DUN DUN........

#4 Dubya13

Dubya13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,125 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

"Contraction," is the word you're looking for. And I disagree. Expansion to Kansas City and Seattle. Coyotes stay in Phoenix. No more Canadian teams.

Rename the divisions; Orr, Modano, LaFontaine and Mullen.

Get rid of the trapezoid and instigator. Move the goal back to 13 feet and get rid of all offsides - even icing. That ought to pick up the pace of the game.

Si ego certiorem faciam mihi tu delendus eris.

#5 Dubya13

Dubya13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,125 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

And if you really want some bad blood, rename the conferences Bettman and Fehr.

#6 Dubya13

Dubya13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,125 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Oh, I forgot, change the goal from red-posts-white-net to red-net-white-posts.

#7 biggestfanever

biggestfanever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

"Contraction," is the word you're looking for. And I disagree. Expansion to Kansas City and Seattle. Coyotes stay in Phoenix. No more Canadian teams.

Rename the divisions; Orr, Modano, LaFontaine and Mullen.

Get rid of the trapezoid and instigator. Move the goal back to 13 feet and get rid of all offsides - even icing. That ought to pick up the pace of the game.

No idea why but I can never think of that word when I have to. Pisses me off. In my defense, detraction does mean to take away.

Expansion is a quick fusion of money but it's a bad idea long term. There's already too many teams. It's helped water down the product. The league had it right with 21, and even the next three making it 24 was fine, but then it got out of control. I'd be fine with them keeping the same number of teams though if they went with something at least close to my realignment and playoff format idea. Major part of the problem though is where they've been expanding to. Some of those teams are money suckers and need to go. We've been in that money sucking group the past few seasons but we've proved to be a money maker far more than not. Plus, we're still the Stars - a familiar franchise for fans. Does anybody care about the Panthers? Or Blue Jackets? It's a better league without those garbage franchises.

As far as Canadian teams - sticking another team in the GTA would be a money maker and so would Quebec. They'd be better ideas than Seattle and Kansas City.

#8 ModanoTheBest

ModanoTheBest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I think the concensus is that if contraction happens (it won't), it should begin with Florida. The second team, imo, needs to be one of the So-Cal teams. Preferably Anaheim. It's amazing that they've both done well in a non-traditional market like that, but when LA gets an NFL team, it'll be tough to sustain two hockey teams.

And the Bettman and Fehr conferences comment got a +1. :D
Posted Image

#9 biggestfanever

biggestfanever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I think the concensus is that if contraction happens (it won't), it should begin with Florida. The second team, imo, needs to be one of the So-Cal teams. Preferably Anaheim. It's amazing that they've both done well in a non-traditional market like that, but when LA gets an NFL team, it'll be tough to sustain two hockey teams.

And the Bettman and Fehr conferences comment got a +1. :D

I'd love to see the Ducks go. In all honesty I want to see them, both FLA teams, Columbus, and Nashville gone. It's not going to happen, I'm just saying that's what I want.

#10 EdTheEagle20

EdTheEagle20

Wise Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,555 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the burbs

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

There are way too many teams in this league. I'm kinda starting to like the whole dissolve and rebuild idea bfds goes on about, but im afraid it would take too long and Dallas wouldn't recieve a franchise, and I love my Stars

EdTheEagle20Banner2nd_zps353545dc.jpg
^^^Trunkins/Bam_D

Karlis 37 Skrastins never forgotten

#11 gooch4011

gooch4011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMorrilton, Arkansas

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Why cut Nashville? They seem like a pretty stable market.

moKMMcZ_zps7ea8ef9c.gif

It's like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes." ~Jack Burton

#12 biggestfanever

biggestfanever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Why cut Nashville? They seem like a pretty stable market.

They are. For now anyways. I just don't like having them in the league. Personal preference. Certain franchises like them, Columbus, FLA and Tampa, Anaheim, etc are garbage to me. Call me old school but they just aren't hockey. I would love to see at least a couple of those teams dissolved. Hell, all of em.

#13 agentpatience

agentpatience

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationPalmyra, VA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Contract all teams that have never won a Cup. That gets you down to 22. Oh sorry Vancouver. Sorry Washington. Sorry San Jose. U mad?

Get rid of all teams that found it impossible to succeed (i.e. make playoffs) in their market under the last CBA. Oh Sorry Toronto.

Now we're back to 21 teams. So who do you want in the dispersal draft, Ovechkin or Weber?

#14 agentpatience

agentpatience

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationPalmyra, VA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

or keep Toronto and contract Buffalo twice. Tell them its because they've got a crease in their skate laces.

#15 Dubya13

Dubya13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,125 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Cut Nashville because they might not be stable in a couple of years?

From a fan of Canadian teams and owners that's a pretty myopic view. Just how much longer do you expect the Canadian dollar to be strong against the US? 1 year? 3 years?

I mean it's not like teams have ever left Canada before or claim to be a small market team in need of capital, right?

#16 Dubya13

Dubya13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,125 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

And the talent isn't watered down. What you see is a result of hard caps and "league parity." If anything expansion would lead to more talent.

#17 gooch4011

gooch4011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMorrilton, Arkansas

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Cut both Florida teams, Columbus, and Phoenix.

moKMMcZ_zps7ea8ef9c.gif

It's like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes." ~Jack Burton

#18 biggestfanever

biggestfanever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Cutting Nashvile has nothing to do with anything but a personal preference. I grew up mostly with the 21 team league - then the expansion through the 90s. Nashville just doesn't say hockey to me.

The league is watered down. Way back in the day every team had three lines that were expected to score. Eventually that dwindled down to two. And now there's teams that can barely scrape together one. That, combined with over-coaching (all players forced to conform to systems creating less individualism), and now every player can skate with the next. Even the 4th liners are fit and can play. They're not talented, but they can keep up and stifle offense. It's all contributed to the way the game is played today. I've seen the league change since the 80s. Most people who have will tell you the same. It's a common observation.

#19 Dubya13

Dubya13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,125 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

And high scores had nothing to do with shitty goaltending?

#20 biggestfanever

biggestfanever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

And high scores had nothing to do with shitty goaltending?

Of course. The position evolving plus larger equipment has contributed to lack of offense for sure. But I'm not talking about actual goals necessarily. I'm talking about the product. The way the game is played today as compared to 15-20-25+ years ago and so on. Too much expansion and the talent has been spread too thin. Garbage systems are common so garbage teams can compete while using a first line that would have been a second line 25 years ago. And their depth players would be on the farm back then. All the theories are contributing factors - from expansion, to systems play, and if you're talking goals then yes goaltending too.

And does anyone care about FLA? Tampa? Nashville? Columbus? Does anyone want to see a Nashville vs Florida Cup final? Or a Nashville vs Columbus playoff match up? Would anyone watch? Maybe it doesn't a difference to some people in the non-traditional markets, but to most others it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

DallasStars.com is the official Web site of Dallas Stars, L.P.  The Stars name and logos are registered trademarks of the NHL and the Stars. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 Dallas Stars, L.P. and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Corporate Partnerships | Contact Us | Code Of Conduct | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | Job Opportunities | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map | Find us on Google+